Question re high quality streaming

channeltrack

Hi there,

Excuse my newness to this all.

I'm looking to find a way to send a single audio stream at high quality (at least 320 MP3 or CD quality) to a single client [from my recording studio to theirs].
Any help, wisdom or advice on apps or options much appreciated

As a summary I want to send a stereo feed out of my OS X 10.8 computer (which will be operating at either 24 bit 96kHz or 24 bit 44.1kHz).
I know that is a high data rate, but if I can at least convert it in real time before streaming (a smallish delay is not a big concern as long as it is not a long time) to 320 MP3 quality or CD quality (16 bit 44.1kHz) that will be good enough quality for requirements.

Linking directly to a client for the stream is ideal, but otherwise a server is fine too, what ever works easily.
I have a VDSL line (so upload speed standardly ~9-10Mbps).

So if anyone knows of
a] Real time encoding software to create 320 MP3 quality (or FLAC, or AAC etc)
b] a way to stream that to a single client/listener in real time for them to hear

OS X 2496 ->real time encoder (min 320 MP3)-> real time streamer -> client

Please let me know
Thanks

Hi channeltrack,

This would be possible with our services. We cannot provide a direct stream as such to your client, but we can provide radio server hosting which you can still use in the same manner really. Its just a case of having a tune in link for the client of yours. We also offer a streaming bitrate of 320kbps.

Some more information and the pricing for our server hosting can be found here: Internet Radio Servers

Ideally in this case you would want to make the stream private so that it does not appear on any radio directory's. But this can be done easily in all live stream encoding software and also in the servers control panels settings. Its just a case then of only sharing the stream URL with your client.

We have a beginners guide here in our forums which will provide you with all of the information you would require to get started with internet radio. It discusses how this all works and the software required. http://forum.internet-radio.com/guides/12168-beginners-guide-internet-radio.html

As you are on OSX, we would recommend Nicecast for the live stream encoding: Rogue Amoeba | Nicecast: Broadcast Any Audio To The Internet, Right From Mac OS X BUTT is also another good option: butt - broadcast using this tool

All stream encoding software encodes your audio into Mp3 (or AAC / Ogg Vorbis) format at the same time as sending this to a dedicated radio server for broadcasting. The delay on this really is only as matter of seconds.

We hope that this helps. Please feel free to just ask should you have any further questions.

Cool, looks like that's the plan then.

Thanks for the information and assistance,
Will get onto it pronto

Hi channeltrack,

This would be possible with our services. We cannot provide a direct stream as such to your client, but we can provide radio server hosting which you can still use in the same manner really. Its just a case of having a tune in link for the client of yours. We also offer a streaming bitrate of 320kbps.

Some more information and the pricing for our server hosting can be found here: Internet Radio Servers

Ideally in this case you would want to make the stream private so that it does not appear on any radio directory's. But this can be done easily in all live stream encoding software and also in the servers control panels settings. Its just a case then of only sharing the stream URL with your client.

We have a beginners guide here in our forums which will provide you with all of the information you would require to get started with internet radio. It discusses how this all works and the software required. http://forum.internet-radio.com/guides/12168-beginners-guide-internet-radio.html

As you are on OSX, we would recommend Nicecast for the live stream encoding: Rogue Amoeba | Nicecast: Broadcast Any Audio To The Internet, Right From Mac OS X BUTT is also another good option: butt - broadcast using this tool

All stream encoding software encodes your audio into Mp3 (or AAC / Ogg Vorbis) format at the same time as sending this to a dedicated radio server for broadcasting. The delay on this really is only as matter of seconds.

We hope that this helps. Please feel free to just ask should you have any further questions.