Mixers

Anyone using a USB mixer and one computer for Internet Radio Broadcasting? I'm trying to get the computer to recognize the mixer (just mics no music) and the music playing on the computer at the same time so I can talk over music. I don't want to use a separate computer for music, jingles, and run it through the mixer.

Behringer xenyx x1204usb....when i go live its either zara or itunes for music on edcast. i just want the mics on the mixer...for some reason the music on a second computer coming into mixer sounds bad. Most videos show one mixer and one main computer. Just confused as to how it works with this setup.

Ive always used these with a different soundcard feeding the mixer as analogue audio (this can however be on the same computer), and the in built soundcard being used for the streaming.

Firstly all make sure you have got the Behringer ASIO driver from their website correctly installed. You may have to unplug the mixer USB, uninstall old versions and restart the computer without the mixer plugged in, then reinstall the new version, reconnect the USB when the install software instructs you, and reboot the computer once more.

If this is computer is a laptop or gets used for other stuff, take care to mark or note which USB port the behringer is connected to as the driver only works correctly on this port.

use this newer version of Edcast with the ASIO support

https://code.google.com/p/edcast-reborn/downloads/list

On Edcast, set your stream source to be the BEHRINGER USB AUDIO and make sure ASIO settings (double click on the ASIO icon) are 44100 16 bit (others do not sound good).

for all your other playout software, set the default output to be the other soundcard on the computer (you might want to do this in Windows control panel). Connect this to a stereo input with a cable - you may need a small stereo trafo (audio transformer) to remove noise from the computer power supply. I am not sure what country you are in otherwise I would have suggested one (in the UK you can get them for £6).

You can then use the stereo channel and the mic faders as you would any other mixer.

Be careful about levels; although the analogue side of these mixers will go over 0dBU and there is some headroom, if the digital soundcard gets sent too strong a signal it will be over 0dBFS and the sound will be clipped.

It took me a while to understand this when I got back into music a few years ago (as I am old and started off in analogue days).

The Peak meter on Edcast is what is actually going to your stream. You can also use these meters (most are free, but the €14 one is worth the money) to get a larger display of the levels.

Audio Level Meter

if your computer can drive an extra monitor you can put all the streaming / level displays onto this and use the main one for the playout.

If I understand you correctly, you are recommending two computers? My computer has one sound card. I'm thinking I don't understand the setup....again most people on YouTube are using one computer only with a mixer....edcast, software, music everything on one computer. Just trying to figure out in lay man terms how they are doing this....

if your computer has a soundcard already built in, and you connect the Behringer to it, you then have two soundcards on the same computer (the Behringer mixer itself becomes a soundcard).